PSAT and SAT
At Khan Academy, you can access thousands of questions approved by College Board, take four official SAT practice tests, and create personalized study plans based on your results.
State Testing Requirements
The participation in state assessments is required by the Michigan Department of Education. The following is a statement from the that can be found in this communication from the Department of Education:
“The MDE understands and respects the rights of parents to make all manner of choices regarding the education of their students. However, there is no official ability in state or federal law for parents to have their child ‘opt out’ of the assessments, without counting against their school and district’s participation rates. Please also remember that any student in a Michigan public school is being taught Michigan content standards, and this is simply an opportunity to understand their progress in learning those standards.”
Additional Resources for Parents
Middle School Parent Resources
- Information on topics relevant to parents of middle schoolers, including adolescent brain development, online safety, encouraging positive body image, bullying and more.
- 10 Tips on how to stay involved in your middle school child’s education.
Resources for Parents in Elementary School and Earlier
Story Blocks – Literacy Development
- Collection of 30-60 second videos for parents, caregivers, and library staff designed to model songs, rhymes, and finger-plays appropriate for early childhood. Each video clip includes tips to increase caregivers’ understanding of child development and pre-literacy needs.
- Reading tip sheets, available in multiple languages, for parents of babies, toddlers, preschoolers, kindergarteners, first graders, second graders, and third graders.
- Teaching kids to read and helping those who struggle.